I had been thinking about rebranding for a while, as my old domain name was far from unique. A quick Google search showed I shared my name with, amongst others, a large Pakistani bank and a Viennese band that describe their genre as “funk funk funk”.
So after nearly a year of using a different domain, I have changed to johnskdev.com. Whilst it doesn’t exactly roll of the tongue, it is descriptive and more importantly it was not taken as a username on any of the major social networks or forums I frequent. This meant I could have one consistent name across all these sites.
It was particularly satisfying to Google my new name, shortly after I had registered the domain:
That’s about as unique as you can get!
Of course, I needed to move my WordPress installation from my old domain. I had transferred WordPress sites between servers before (keeping the same name), but not moved to a new domain. It turned out to be fairly straightforward, however, and WordPress themselves provide a useful guide on this subject.
I have retrospectively changed names in previous blog posts to try to ensure consistency, but you may find the odd reference to the previous domain on here.
As I explained in my last post, I am currently learning all there is to know about the .NET Framework.
I can get a bit bored creating test sites on my local machine and much prefer to see things working and live on the internet. As such I’ve created a new sub-domain, net.johnskdev.com, that points to an Amazon server where I have deployed a test MVC 5 site.
This is going to be my testbed for everything I’m learning in .NET, so don’t expect it to look like a polished website. In due course, a lot of examples and experiments will appear here, but at the time of writing this, the site is just the default one you get when you create a new MVC project.
I would write a guide on how I set this up, but I don’t think I could improve on this great article that takes you through all the steps, from setting up an EC2 instance to uploading your .NET project. The only problem I encountered was that Web Deploy didn’t seem to install correctly on my server, so I would suggest also reading through this IIS article on installing and configuring Web Deploy. It’s written for IIS 7, but it worked fine with IIS 8.
When I last wrote back in July, I had just finished my second Android course and was due to start the third and final part of a MOOC specialisation on Mobile Cloud Computing with Android. Things have changed quite a bit since then, so I thought I’d just explain what has been happening.
At the end of July I started working at a startup in Sydney as a Web Developer. This role involved working with, amongst other things, .NET, MVC 5, C#, LINQ, Entity Framework and the Razor View Engine. I didn’t have very much experience in these areas but was very keen to learn, so I basically put a hold on my current MOOC courses so I could focus fully on my new role. I’m really pleased to say that the firm I’m working at recently offered me a permanent position, so for the foreseeable future I’m going to be learning more about C# the .NET framework.